Final Three Papal Candidates Announced for Altar Lot
October 30, 2012
COLLEYVILLE, TX. October 30, 2012 -- Thanks be to God the final three candidates for the papacy have been determined.
A total of 2256 eligible voters casted their votes and the final results were announce by H.E. Metropolitan Pakhomious:
- Bishop Raphael 1980 votes
- Bishop Tawadrous 1623 votes
- Fr. Raphael Ava Mina 1530 votes
- Fr. Seraphim al Souriany 680 votes
- Fr. Bakhomios al Souriany 305 votes
Thus based on the votes, the Altar Lot will include the following three names:
- Bishop Raphael
- Bishop Tawadrous
- Fr. Raphael Ava Mina
As we go through this historical event, the presence and guidance of our Lord is vital. Thus our beloved Coptic Orthodox Church will be solemnly praying and fasting the third of the three first degree fasts (similar to the Wednesday and Friday fasts). The Altar Lot will be on November 4, 2012, which a Divine liturgy will be prayed by H.E. Metropolitan Pakhomious and then a blindfolded child will pick the name of the next Pope from amongst these three candidates.
- October 1-3, 2012: prior to studying the objections of the nominees; reducing the current list of nominees from seventeen to 5-7 names
- October 22-24, 2012: prior to the Election Day on October 29, 2012
- October 31-November 2, 2012: prior to the Altar Lot on November 4, 2012
"And they cast their lots, and the lot fell to Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles" (Acts 1:26).
We pray that our Lord Jesus Christ guide us through this process and help us to choose a good shepherd for His church according to His will.